Sunday, February 25, 2007

Parippu vada

One of my favorite snack with hot piping tea. The best parippu vada I have eaten are from the road side stalls that come to life after dusk. I would bribe friends to get some of the best tasting parotta mutta curry, parippu vada etc to gobble up. Getting the perfect reason to make them was easy this weekend - the winter snow storm in Chicago. Huddled indoor with nothing pressing to do except watch the snow wistfully, the parippu vada was the perfect foil.



This recipe is also my entry to te event "Sunday Snacks - Hot n Spicy" hosted by the lovely Pallavi of All Thingz Yummy.

Ingredients

Tuar Dal - 1 cup
Onion - 1/2 Chopped
Green Chili - 3 chopped
Dried Red Chili - 1
Ginger - 1" finely chopped
Curry Leaves - 5 to 6
Kayam / Asafoetida - pinch
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

Rinse and soak the tuar dal for at least 4 hours. Drain the water and leave it in a colander for 10 minutes until the water drains completely. Grind the Dal,1/2 of the chopped onions and ginger, Red chili, green chili and salt into a thick coarse paste with no additional water. Mix the rest of the onion, ginger, curry leaves, kayam.
Heat the oil. In the meantime take handful of the mixture and make it into patties with a dimple on the top onto a cling wrap. carefully transfer the patties into the hot oil. Flip after 5 minutes and cook for another 5 minutes. Cook until the vada is a dark golden brown. Don't make the vada too thick as it would take a longer time to cook.
Remove from the oil to a paper napkin. Serve with hot piping tea.


You can also add 1/2 cup of soaked channa dal or masoor dal to the mixture.

9 comments:

KF said...

Parippu Vada with one cup of Masala Tea..Mmmmm!You made perfect vadas!

Anonymous said...

Smitha,
I tried these parippuvada at home. My mother told me to grind coarsly ...i did ...but got cracked as soon as i placed in oil....What you do to bind that daal?

Sumitha said...

The first time i made parippu wada,I had a fight with my hubby...he said its made out of tur dal and I that its from channa dal.finally we agreed ok we can use both or any,your recipe proves it now!

Smitha said...

Thanks, Kichenfairy.
Hi Dhanya, what I used to do earlier was, I used to make a small portion of the dal mixture into smoother paste without water than totally coarse. This used to help me bind the vada without cracking it. The trick is in how you slide it into the oil too. An easy way to do it is which also you can try I used to use a slotted spatula on to wihich i would transfer the vada and then slowly place it in the oil. You can try either method until you get it going the way you want without the cheatcode. :) Hope that helps.
Hi Sumitha, I believe you hubby is actually correct, that is the authentic way of making these parippu vada, But I have also tried these vadas made of parippu and little bit of chanda dal as well as they are delicous too... so you are right too either way the vadas are too good to be resisted.

Mrs. K said...

That reminds me...I haven't made parippuvada for a very long time. Time to soak some dal!
Yours look perfect. :)

TNL said...

Hi Smitha,
these are really good with some tea, you're so right about that. I have added soybeans to this vada before too..they turn out even nicer!

trupti

Smitha said...

Thanks, rp.

Hmm trupti, had'nt thought about that but sounds interesting. I must try that ...

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Smitha,
I just tried making parippuvada with this recipe and it turned out yummy! thanks for the recipe..

Reshmi

Post a Comment