Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Spinach & Cabbage Pakoras / Fritters

When I was kid/ teenager/ adult (before marriage), every evening I would fervently wait for the evening snack, that my mother would make, hoping against hope that it would be pakoras, I really didn't care which type, as long as they were fried to that delicious golden hue. While pakoras are a common Indian snack, expecting it to be made every evening might be pushing it a bit far. But still I never gave up hope, and if perchance a miracle happens and pakoras are in front of us, you can be sure it would be wiped clean without a crumb left on the plate.These days of course pakoras are a rarity in my home, being health conscious and all. The good news is now when I go back home every couple of years, I find my niece and nephews also take after me, I am ashamed to say but looks like I haven't changed much,and we still manage to clean the plate off to a shine....
Every now and then my eyes do light up at the very thought...So now for some delicious piping hot pakoras


Ingredients:
Spinach - 3 cups washed, drained and chopped well
Cabbage - 1 1/2 cup chopped small, washed and drained
Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Besan - 2 cups
Cilantro leaves - 1/4  cup chopped.
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Power - 1/2 tsp
Oil for Batter - 2 tsp
Salt to Taste

Oil  for deep frying

Mix all the ingredients except the oil meant to deep fry.  Use the oil as the binding medium for the mixture. The moisture in the washed spinach and cabbage along with the oil should make a thick batter.  Adjust salt and chili powder according to taste.
 Heat oil for deep frying the fritters, once the oil is hot, drop a little bit of batter , if it rises immediately the oil is ready, lower the heat to medium and drop in spoonful of batter, 6 - 8 nos. at a time, depending on the size of the pan , quantity of oil used to fry. Turn after 3-4 minutes and cook both sides until they are golden brown. Remove from the frying an and place them onto a absorbent napkin/paper. Serve hot with just tea or ketchup/ mint chutney.

You can also add one slice of bread that has been crumbled to the batter, but you would need to adjust the salt, chili powder and oil.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like it, thanks

Sound-BD
is the largest online dealer and eCommerce portal in Bangladesh with
wide array of up-to-date electronic goods available for sale online at
lowest possible rate and from our own showroom. www.sound-bd.com

Post a Comment