Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Potato Curry



I thought of making a new dish for JFI event. But then decided I like this recipe so much, I wanted you to give it a try too. This is my contribution to Jihva For Ingredients: Potato.

Puri with potato masala is well know and loved.. and though I like it, I must say that I am very partial to this potato curry that amma makes. Normally made on Sundays I would sit cross legged on the sofa in front of the TV watching those weekly runs of Ramayana and then later the Mahabharatha ... normally forgetting the count of piping hot puffed puris I would eat. But as tasty as it is, this is a very simple dish to make.


Ingredients:
Potatoes - 2 large cubed.
Onions - 2large sliced
Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped
Green Chilli - 1 to 2 adjust to taste
Tomato - 1 large cubed
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
water - 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves - chopped small bunch

Tempering
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 5 to 6

In this recipe I'm using a pressure cooker. If you don't have a cooker you can use a deep pan the procedure will be the same although cooking time will vary. Just cover and cook until the potatoes are soft.

Heat oil in the cooker and splutter mustard, urad dal and curry leaves. Add ginger , sliced green chillies, potato, onion and saute for 5 mins. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, tomato, salt and stir for 2 mins. Add water and pressure cook on medium flame until the first whistle and on simmer for 2 more whistles.
Once the pressure is released remove and garnish with coriander leaves.

Ps note : This is a little watery dish - you can thicken it a little by mashing some of the potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment